Show Us Your Coaster Contest
Thursday, May 11 & Thursday, May 18, 2017
- Print out and complete this entry form prior to the contest date. Click Here
- 2017 Contest Rules and Judging Criteria Now Available. Click Here
Upon arrival to the park, please gather your group and coasters at the far right side of Guest Relations. We will determine the best entrance for your group and escort you into the park and to the coaster contest pavilion. Please have your tickets ready and in hand. All bags will be searched and no outside food will be allowed into the park. Contest Map & Directions
- Click Here for a coaster contest resource
We are encouraging schools to build and enter roller coaster models built by teams of students in either of the two grade categories: Grades 5-8 or Grades 9-12. Materials that seem logical include wood, wire, string, twine, doweling, toothpicks, cardboard, construction paper, glue, tape or other low-cost items. Commercially available roller coaster kits are discouraged, although ideas obtained while building them might profitably be incorporated in the final design.
Roller coasters are called “gravity rides” for a good reason: once the coaster has been dragged to the top of the first hill and released, it is the force of gravity that keeps the coaster going all the way back to the station platform at the end of the ride. As the coaster goes through its twists, turns, rolls, and loops, it gains and loses its initial potential energy (supplied by dragging it up the first hill). Energy changes from potential into kinetic energy and back into potential energy. Since some of this initial energy is lost due to friction, the roller coaster can never rise as high as the first hill. The roller coaster you will design is also a “gravity ride”.
In the “Spirit of the Competition,” the key ingredients are creativity and application of science principles. Doing a great job is encouraged over spending lots of money to complete the project.
**Please note - limit of 5 entries per school.
Contest Dates and Times:
- May 11th judging begins at 10:30 am for Middle School contestants and 4pm for High School contestants.
- May 18th judging begins at 10:30 am
- Awards will be presented after all coasters are judged and timed. Time will vary depending on the number of entrants.
First, Second and Third Place Prizes will be awarded. Entries will only be judged once.
- 1st place: Trophy, Rapid Ride for each team member, and a Free ticket to come back to the park!
- 2nd place: Trophy and a Free ticket to come back to the park!
- 3rd place: Trophy and a Free ticket to come back to the park!
This contest will be judged by local members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, the world's largest club of amusement ride enthusiasts. If you share our passion for roller coasters, we encourage you to join ACE - come ride with us!